akmal's bike park

akmal's bike park

Wednesday 7 April 2010

04.04.2010 - Seri Alam Offroad in the rain

Last Saturday after cutting the grass (or is it lalang?) I spent some time cleaning up both bikes - the missus' and mine. Plus the slicks wheelset that I use for my RTW. Well, not the whole bike, just the drivetrains.
 
Cleaned up the chain on the bike (a bit lazy to take it off for a full cleaning job), and cassettes too. Two chains and 3 cassettes. Lubed them up, and stood back to admire the gleaming drivetrain. Whole lot of fun.
 
The Area A3 (Kluang, Seri Alam, Pasir Gudang & YPJ) Div.A District 51 International Speech & Table Topics Contest was supposed to be on last Sunday, but postponed to 11th April. And so, I was rearing to go for offroad last Sunday, since I could procrastinate another week of speech prep and practice (aiyah... sure kalah one, like that).
 
SMSed Panjang on Saturday evening to check if he'll be riding offroad, but went unanswered until early morning on Sunday. The message tone from my phone was accompanied by the melody of the rain outside. It was about 6.40 am; still early to discount the ride cancellation possibility.
 
Yad, my office mate (a newlywed who had been putting off cycling offroad for quite some time due to ehm ehm), SMSed me asking if the ride is on. I told him Seri Alam is still raining, and I sensed that the bed is more appetizing than the ride with that kind of weather for him, that morning.
 
I hoped and prayed (while Naza was smiling as she snuggled on the bed fluffing my pillow besider her) that the rain would stop and daddy could go out and play. A series of SMS with Panjang and Yad later, I decided to stay at home. Err... in bed, more accurately.
:)
 
With the laziness of a Sunday, the comforting symphony of the rain, and the somewhat bright but cloudless sky, it's a reminiscence of the days in Manchester (yes, it's raining practically every day over there).
 
The prospect of cleaning again the drivetrain (of course, not the whole bike!) from mud, dirt and whatever-you-may-have, plus the possibility of grinding to zero my precious brake pads put me off the thoughts of riding offroad in the rain that day.
 
So I went back to bed lah.

No comments: