akmal's bike park

akmal's bike park

Monday 19 July 2010

18.07.2010 - Batu Pahat Berani Ride

merenung nasib diri... kalau penat mengayuh ok lagi. ini penat menolak... apa cerita?
 
BP jamboree = Bike Pushers jamboree?
 
The event tagline is 'Torture is Pleasure'. Well, not for me, and many others whom I heard bawling and cursing upon seeing hills after a series of hills along the offroad adventure.
 
Bottom line, it's not great fun of an offroad ride. At least not what I expect from a 'jamboree' event. I mean, what's the need in having hills after hills to 'conquer'? Okay, simple answer would be "you're riding a mountain bike". Right? Well, we do, but not all of us are that tough to ride all 300+ hills in a series in a day. A lot of the guys have the same conviction - that the trail recce was done with a motorcross. Well, I thought that it was done with the assistance of a helicopter.
 
Anyway, I did conquer about 250 hills yesterday. I would certainly concur that mental strength played a big role. However, there were numerous times that I nearly hurled my bike. Considering that it would be my only means of getting to the finish point, and how dear it i$ to me, I managed to abstain myself from doing so. Well, to conquer the hills and to keep my composure, mental strength is vital.
 
Yes, while riding up I did stop at the middle of some of the hills, though, for a couple of reasons:
1. My heartbeat palpitated, and I just have got to stop for a while to bring it back down, and continued climbing after that.
2. Many bike pushers (BPs) took their sweet time pushing their bike on the main line, forcing me to stop.
 
About the BPs, it is imperative that they give way for riders who are riding uphill. If you're a BP, please be attentive of the riders behind you. If you're wearing earplugs, please take it off. You'd be pissed off as much as I do if you're honked with an airhorn by the uphill crankers. Please also be aware if you're trudging on the main line, or the sweetest line uphill. BPs are generally slower (about 4km/h) than those climbing on the bike (about 8 km/h), so please give ample space, and if you're kind and generous, give them moral support.
 
As much as I can I don't want to be a BP, for two reasons:
1. it taxes my strength much more than riding uphill. With pushing the bike uphill, I'll be using my upper body and my legs. Riding uphill would be utilising the quadriceps, which is of a higher muscler mass than my arms and shoulders.
2. it is much faster riding uphill. Riding would make the heart beat fast, but I noticed that it's the same too when I'm a BP. So, it's better to ride uphill.
And, the personal triumph of conquering an impossible hill - it's simply priceless.
 
Well, not to say that I'm no BP, though. I was one, at the section uphill after the steel barrier. It was slippery due to the moss, thus making it exhausting to clear that section.
 
Alhamdulillah, the weather was nice, and the trails condition were good too. Especially as it was overcast during most of my ride at the 80% open trail on the way to checkpoint 2. Also, my drivetrain was good, basically because there's no mud; no chainsuck, no ghost shifting, no big problem.
 
Okay, brickbats aside, the organisers certainly deserve a big pat on the back too. They've got many things right. I think they purposely made the small red stones trail as the downhill rather than the uphill as it is logical. I don't think you can ride up that steep section, what more being a BP on such loose terrain. The important thing: markings are good, with clear signs and lots of paper trails alongside (even stapled on the leaves, lots of them). Finally, the watermelons at checkpoint 3 are simply awesome. Well, they certainly touted the beryani after the ride as the high piont, but for me that's not comparable to the juicy watermelons.
 
Got myself a Limar 525 for the lucky draw too. I was actually expecting to bring home one of the complete bikes, and have secured a space in bro Ayub's truck for it. Anyway, the helmet fits my small head (read: me not a big headed guy), and I don't have to fork out my dough for a MET Mythos after all. Will be using it for my RTWs insyaAllah. Alhamdulillah, at least it serves as a consolation for the not-so-fun ride.
 
photo and caption credit: Suffrizal A. Karim
Alimuddin's piece, from which I got some tips for climbing (points number 1 & 6 helped the most)

No comments: