akmal's bike park

akmal's bike park

Friday 16 January 2009

The big S

S A F E T Y

I work in a heavy industry, steel fabrication establishment. The level of safety, and safety consciousness among workers are very high.

Around the yard, there are many safety initiatives being implemented. 25km/h speed limit, wearing seatbelts (front and rear passengers too) in cars, no handphone usage while driving, wearing Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) if you're in the yard, etc. etc.

Thus, alertness to unsafe act is sort of ingrained within. I'm a paranoid at home when it comes to safety matters, to the point of annoying (eitt.. macam Yasmin Ahmad pulak). This, also when I'm riding my bike on the road (albeit, I try to ease it off when offroad - not so enjoyable if 'too safe').

That's why I'm really into the big S when I'm doing my RTWs. Especially in finding the safest route. Alhamdulillah, so far I've found one safe route to work from my home.

Another concern is to be seen by other (faster) road users. I ensure that I have enough blinkers and in addition, having reflectors on my clothes. Tesco used to sell yellow reflector strips that you can wrap around your ankles, but I found none nowadays. It's a very good S item for bikers. If you're wearing long pants, you can use it to securely wrap your flapping trouser hems. One of the common safety motto: 'Be Seen, Be Safe'.

My dear biking brothers, be safe. Always.

2 comments:

BC Kelolo said...

Errr... nak balik ke reflector strip tu? :)

akmalhizam said...

No laa BC... A sincere gift from me.