akmal's bike park

akmal's bike park

Monday 27 September 2010

RTW 27.09.2010 - Momentum Needed

I prepared for this morning's ride last night, and I went out early. Alhamdulillah, I enjoyed this morning's ride for it's not hasty. More of a relaxed ride, and I noticed something very fundamental as I've read somewhere before.
 
My RTW Machine lacks momentum. Whenever I stopped pedalling, the speed would decrease quite fast (physics term: deceleration). Really, it felt so. I felt that I have to put in much effort to have the machine rolling at an average speed, compared to riding my mountain bike. With an mtb, I feel that I would glide and the speed is not hard to build up once acceleration has begun. On flats, that is. However, the effort put in climbing a gradient (although not that steep) is lesser than I would have with an mtb (even with slicks). As a result, my ride this morning was not as fast as my previous ones. The average speed is just near to 22 km/h. Granted it's a relaxed ride, compared to Hollowpoint with slicks, I registered more than that.
 
Well, these are in agreement with what I read in various sources (through the internet, of course), and logic. Lighter objects would lose their momentum faster compared to heavier mass (or weight). In climbing, effort is lesser taxed with lighter bikes compared with hauling a heavy one.
 
This being stated, I've never weighed my RTW Machine yet. Suffice to say, it is my lightest (and cheapest) bike so far.
:)
 
Stats today:
Out from home

0652

 hours
Arrive office

0729

 hours
Door-to-door

37

 mins
Ride time

34'25"

 
Distance

21.8

 km
Ave. speed

12.52

 km/h
Max speed

36

 km/h
Odometer

5091.8

 km
Good doggies

4

 
Mode

RTW Machine,

 relaxed
 
Thanks for coming around.
Have a good day!
 
When was your last ride?

No comments: